Friday 25 January 2019

MUSICAL INTOXICANTS FOR MOMENTS IN LIMBO



LIMBO PRETTY much describes where I'm at right now. No bad place, but not really where I want to be. What is SFH now anyway? He asks, facing up to an existential crisis that has been brewing for some time. Ever since the magic formula on how to break even was revealed to me, it occurred to me that most bands I like are either so cottage they're screen-printing their own sleeves or on a big fucking label. A lose-lose scenario then, for the self-financing promoter. However, that said there has been some mesmerizing horizontal music to shout about and big personal change is definitely just over the horizon, so, upon reflection, I'm keeping the faith and continuing a while longer.

Big thanks to David Lovenbury for sharing the mightily impressive Sassy Moon by Hairband, which is a heady dose of bare foot yet vertical pop perfection.  On solid rotation since arriving. Another massive winner is Ronald Langestraat's Searching LP, which was bought by pure chance. I was browsing SOTU's web page looking at unrelated reggae when it popped up. Luckily, I had the time to give it a few listens, then was hooked enough to buy on sight.

The whole album is wonderfully sublime and slightly odd, which made it more than a little intriguing. In the Middle of the Night is a great song in anyone's book and Girl Where Are You? evokes peak-time Witch. Yes, that sublime, and slightly odd. I'm Ready For Dancing is Latin in feel but still off-kilter enough to work a treat on the hip joints. Can't even recall what the reggae track is.




Really pleased, Enid released Woven Entity's second album Two on proper vinyl. Kudu really works on the magic carpet of percussion and the alchemy is at work throughout in a top drawer release. Nubians is another mesmerizing highlight on a solid long -player. I still have fantasies about putting them on at the Manchester Bridge club one Sunday. 

A second Lunaria cassette Water Mind released on the impressive ΠΑΝΘΕΟΝ  label is a pure dream-scape, akin to their warmer earlier work, All is Dream. River Spirit is truly a work of wonder and definitely one for imaginary bath-time. Also, as impressive is Palm House by Amparo on Modularfield. A cassette that manipulates the guitar in amazing ways as Coastal Dusk attests. Music from the heart always wins me over.



Massive respect for Efficient Space, whose Waak Waak Djung's Waak Waak Ga Min LP,  had me in a state of near nirvana all summer. I don't think any track since Turn Turn Turn at the Hangout in 89' has taken me closer to levitation than Gandi Bawong. Truly mesmerizing. 

Equally impressive is 3am Spares, which has left the same indelible mark on my senses. Amazing 3 pm music. 3RRR FM's community radio show sure as understood by Andras and Instant Peterson is post rave heaven. Opener, FSOM's Resist The Beat is a subtle floor shuffler even, whilst Jandy Rainbow's I Will Go is a less persistent slice of dubby techno genius that rolls back the head to do its work. Not really a duff track to be found. 'Radio Cavell, here I come.'



Hats off to Reference Point for the mightily impressive April Fulladosa seven. Tell Me is a high-quality song indeed, and it's great that it can be enjoyed 30 years later. I was also lucky enough to buy from Juno rather than direct, which meant I was afforded a link to another little gem. L'Eclair's Funky Splash evokes 2013 era Growing Bin. Yes, that good.

Talking Drums edits by Piccadilly and Growing bin scribe, Patch has a charm all of their own. The A-sides throw all manner of mayhem together to create 'bendy' music. However, I'm more at ease with the B-sides. Get Serious and Space Talk both flutter around my gaff and help keep things even bendier. Great releases.



No comments:

Post a Comment