Monday 9 January 2023

BEATS OF LOVE 

75. Hot Water (Extended Version) by Level 42

PUSHING MYSELF this year and feel I'm finally coming out of those storm-clouds. 


I'm attending keep-fit classes. I'm also attending film study sessions to help me write a draft for a piece that I hope to pass on to a comedy writer. A corroboration, at least in my head. I'm putting in two hours a day religiously and thinking about it a lot. Oh, and I'm about to acquire a pair of turntables. My first since 1999. 



After an insanely busy work schedule is finally over, I now have a large pile of unplayed records and two whole days to spin them. This absolute monster was played from the pile after The Psychedelic Furs incredible Mendlesohn long mix of Heartbeat, which makes some sort of sense. It cost me the princely sum of 50p.

The legendary Alan Scott of Beatles and Bowie fame, superimposes Mark King's already distinctive bass, by adding an even more relentless rhythm to back it, culminating in one of the tightest and funkiest cuts I've heard in ages. More fabled and lauded for their majestic work with Mendlesohn himself (who isn't smitten by his wondrous Sisa mix of Something About You?), this epic mix has all but escaped my attention until now. 


Auxiliary member Wally Badarou gets a writing credit here too, but it's most definitely Scott taking the bow. Level 42 has never sounded younger than this.  Pure marmite, though, it holds nothing back, so you're either gliding across the floor in glee like myself, or reaching for the sick bucket.  

It feels super fast and breezy, so mirrors my new year perfectly. If you're in the eye of the storm, keep the faith, you'll come through it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment