Wednesday 1 March 2023

 BEATS OF LOVE 

80. I Feel You (Mudd Remix) by Payfone &  Kyd Nereida

UNSURPRISINGLY, I was writing about Brown Fang x Torn Sail until Dr Rob posted his own blog piece and absolutely nailed their efforts. Rendering my own attempt to convey a need to buy it on sight, absolutely pointless and futile. Just buy it on sight. 

However, like the club golfer honing their practice swing and dreaming of a 22 handicap, I picked up this twelve and went somewhere incredible enough to sit typing again, dreaming of the day. Somebody I don't know from Adam will engage. 

In the meantime...



Payfone first came to my attention on Phil's peerless Golf Channel label. Subcoinscient Lamentation was and is a bass-burbling stone cold classic. It was only eclipsed in 2019 when the vocal delivery became more prominent with the stunning I Was in New York. To be fair, I didn't think they'd ever eclipse it. I certainly didn't when I first heard Kyd Nereida's voice on last year's outing Put Your Face Away, but here, with more prominence, she sounds compellingly emotive. And more than a little sultry. 


No point saying she sounds like such-and-such crossed with such-and-such coz her voice is unique. She's a special talent for sure. I was initially drawn to the A-Side with its darker stabs but over the loud speakers this warmer slo-mo mix teases in the highest peaks and adds Michele Chiavarin's wondrous piano, creating something truly amazingThe woozy delirium creates sensations akin to experiencing a guilty pleasure. It's that satisfying.  

Sometimes experiencing music completely lost in the moment with a little less reckless abandon can feel superb. Fuck the handicap, let's dance.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment