Thursday 29 June 2023

BEATS OF LOVE 

90. The Stars In The Sky And The Stones In The Earth By Sewell & The Gong

TORN BETWEEN two great purchases. 


For its sheer musicality alone, Music From Memory's mind bomb of a compilation Dream Dolphin's Gaia: Selected Ambient & Down-tempo works (1996-2003), wins hands-down, but for the overall package I'm slightly more sold on the less subtly persistent genius that is Sewell & The Gong's Tonight We Fly EP.



The missus came home with a baby pink electric guitar a few months back and for weeks it just sat in the corner. Then I began to cradle it and softly pluck away at it. Then I looked at some online tutorials and got a better sound out of it. Then I turned things up, and it sounded truly dreadful. Thankfully, by the time the sun was cracking the flags, I was outside, sock-free, strumming away quietly and sheepishly. 

Bird lover, artist and compiler of the great A Crushing Glow comps Matt Sewell is a much more accomplished self-taught guitarist than me. Although he'd probably disagree. All four tracks are standalone gems that are all unique musical expressions, but today at least this takes my fancy. Multi-instrumentalist Chris Tate sprinkles a touch more magic by building the atmosphere effortlessly. Creating a summer solstice song that's both airy and weighty. I'm back in head-nod heaven. My favourite place.

I'm not going to get started about Glastonbury other than say that when Rick Astley was taking the stage, I was thankfully oblivious. And instead opening this beautiful Test Pressing complete with screen-printed sleeve. In truth, Matt Sewell's signed illustration was the selling point. 

This is even lovelier than his very lovely Gayatri Mantra sleeve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment