Friday 13 October 2023

BEATS OF LOVE 

99. The Love Revolution (Justin Robertson's Scream Team Remix) by Yargo

MY PARENTS had an off-license in Middleton in the late seventies. I'd be about eight and playing footy around the back of a neighbouring chippy when 'woof,' I somehow managed to sky the ball and smash an upstairs window. I sort of froze with the undamaged ball in my hands whilst everyone else disappeared sharpish. And said that it was me that smashed their window, when the owners bolted towards me. 


The upshot of the situation was I owed them about thirty quid, and my parents suggested I knock on doors and offer my services. (A seemingly more innocent age.)


Whilst everyone else was playing out and enjoying their hols, I was digging up weeds for buttons. I even had the stupid idea of knocking on the local nunnery. Then spent a full morning being put to use gardening just to be given chocolate biscuits. Therein lied the problem. I hadn't pitched my services properly. I think in the end I handed my parents a tenner and the problem from that point on simply disappeared coz when I woke up next morning an envelope was beside the bed with thirty quid in

Strange things began to happen after, though. The folk I'd laboured for became mega friendly. The nuns especially. And the chippy owner was bowled over when I handed her the envelope. It was my first taste of respect and it felt good. Sadly, though, I think it was inevitable that I'd turn back on that hapless eight-year-old. 

Just like it was equally inevitable that this wonderful anthem would find me years later and help alter the course of my life. Back towards that same hapless eight-year-old. Happily.  


No comments:

Post a Comment