Monday 24 May 2021


 
BEATS OF LOVE
 
1.  The Montana Freight Train Mix by Carl A. Finlow, Ralph Lawson & Domenic Capello

I'VE ONLY once met Antony Daly twice on the same weekend. Firstly, as a swivel-headed, happy loon, unable to speak during Nado's 20th celebrations, and then, the night after, as something unable to find its own mouth to even say 'Hi.' I'm guessing he had the sense to put his head down between time as he was still chatty. I always make an appalling first impression. Anyway, he owns and runs the ever more impressive 586 Records and occasionally sells me fantastic records like this.  


I only met Ralph Lawson once too, sociably speaking,  and found him wholly affable, which, back in the mid-nineties, wasn't all that impressive. I found his rhythmic, no-nonsense music wholly affable too, which back in the mid-nineties wasn't all that impressive either. Once again I'm wrong as I now find myself accidently buying his output more and more. 

I recently wrote a long-winded blog piece about clubbing in Sankeys Soap, recalling that, for me at least, Domenic Capello marked the nadir. Someone, I thought, synonymous with bland and formulaic, but, because I'm so often wrong about everything, I decided to google him and came across this slow burning masterpiece. Everything but bland and formulaic, predictably. 

It sounds good here, but on a proper deck with the volume on it really takes you to the special place, and just gets better and better. Not a second is wasted. For me, it's all about this epic A side which naturally locks into an insistent groove before heading off into the deep ... 


... warm pads then wobble about deliciously with aquatic washes that really do sound magical and thankfully last an age. It really ends on a high too. Rather than just reverting back to the main groove, it saves the best till last with teasing stabs that put a silly great grin on your face, not unlike the one on mine when I first met Antony. Very clever, yet seemingly simple devices stand this out from the crowd. It's genius is in holding back, which gives it more space and natural energy. They've learned lessons from their livelier first collaboration and delivered an absolute peach second the time around. 

I was burnt out by 1996 and was playing back too many conversations in my head to know a banging tune; I guess. Buy this bomb on sight if you don't already own it whist it's affordable.    



No comments:

Post a Comment