Friday 28 May 2021


 BEATS OF LOVE 

2. Smile by Microworld

FOR MY money, Andras Fox is one of the most important producer/ DJ's out there right now, so when he included Philip McGarva's first output in 6 years under the Microworld moniker in his 2016 mix, I was truly transfixed. Grey Melody is awash with warm synths but also frenetic enough to make you move and smile. 


When I heard Andras DJ, I expected to hear similar trance inducing rhythms like this but was disappointed by the tempo of the records in his set. Fast was great at first as it contrasted with Jim's tunes in a very non-linear way, but then it became ceaseless and I was bloody relieved when it finally stopped. 



I recall the only time Weatherall and Tenniswood were disappointing by being equally annoying on their lap-tops at Tim's shindig when they played way too fast and killed the vibe completely. Big name acts who feel the need to experiment on small-time promoter's nights are another bug-bear of mine. Yes, another. Subsequently, my relationship with Andras has been on/off ever since because of these experiments with tempo, but my relationship with Microworld, thanks to him, has been going very steady.   


The Transmat debut is a record Moonboots would've given me to listen to had I still been going to E-Bloc twice a week in 1999, but, as I wasn't, he didn't. Nevertheless, finally bought 17 years after its release, I was expecting to listen with a forgiving ear, but was pleasantly surprised. It still sounds fresh. Larry Heard nuts know that the B-side is the place to head despite the A-side being way more popular.  

More dream-house than techno, more Devonport than Detroit, and, floaty, not lightweight, it really hits its spot relentlessly. The pads gather pace but never sound abrasive, warmly charging the tune tremendously, burning up any dancefloor or bungalow. 

Basically, it's a blissfully emotive piece of late 20th century electronic music and every home should have a copy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment