Friday 30 July 2021


BEATS OF LOVE

12. Dreamcoast by Moy


I'M SO glad I've never been on a mailing list, sifting through promo's all fucking day. I'd be hopelessly prejudiced depending on whether someone seems sorted or not and probably plug records that in truth I'm not too keen on. Or worse, confide in the wrong people that I don't actually like it.

When Damo B's new label, 
Emotec came to my attention. my first thoughts were recalling the time I went into his local and recklessly bought a strip of some guy's MS medication. I was paralyzed down my left side for hours and endured a facial tic for fucking days. What's worse is that I gave my friend's brother some, and he panicked and made his way to A & E. She didn't speak to me for months.



Damo B has always been one of Shaw's live wires and one of the few people I could sit on a GM Bus with in 1996 and discuss Photek. Despite his local being far more insane back then. Because his label was brought to my attention, I was prejudiced in wanting to like it out of sheer nostalgia, but was a little apprehensive. Juno, the distributor, is a little work-a-day and the art-work was pretty non-existent. 

Utilitarianism, precise, and clear, are words I find synonymous with my limited experience of today's Manchester underground, and this sleeve. Luckily, I can forgive the lack of psychedelic buffoonery and still listen to this with an open mind. Thankfully, Moy's music is the trip. Three of the four tracks are a little route one, but no doubt sound top drawer during a spangled evening out. This opener, however, properly sucks you in for a far more rewarding at home listen. 


Thanks to the 90s influences springing today's Australian break beat driven house (some of which is really exciting) into shape, there is something already familiar about this. Before the ethereal vocals kick in and the squelchy acid lines and the devastating bass-line knock me completely out of my comfort zone. Played twice it starts to make more sense as I start to feel the dripping warehouse sweat again and after the third spin I'm digging out Hawtin's remix of Do Da Doo before settling into one of those nights until the missus finally shouts in exasperation 'Enough!'  

I really hope Damo B's label goes from strength to strength coz he's off to a fucking flyer. 

https://www.juno.co.uk/junodaily/2021/07/21/juno-daily-in-the-mix-with-emotec-records/




No comments:

Post a Comment