Friday 2 July 2021



 BEATS OF LOVE

8. Changing Factors by Claude Young 

THIS TRACK has been on a journey with me as a totally neglected, un-played B-side, in the main. I was totally hooked instead on Shake's March Into Darkness off the same release that segued nicely into LFO's Loop Fuse mix and had me sonic stomping for at least 6 months.  

I vividly recall walking into Vinyl Exchange after a sleepless night and day spent with Baldie who was still with me long after the Lionrock show/after-show had ended, while I stood nervously watching Marc rifle through this and some Spacemen 3 LP's on his counter. In my sleep deprived stupor I was semi-convinced they were mine and asked to inspect them further. 'As if I would be daft enough to sell these,' I argued, until realizing that the pile of records was not mine. Unfathomably, about 6 years later, I sold my copy. The regret wasn't immediate, but not far off.  

I love the internet coz I can consume at my own pace in my own idiosyncratic manner. I love the fact that most of the tunes I buy new are sealed, as I no longer have to listen to the fake excuses for them being the last copy. I love the internet coz there's no big sell, although I do miss Moonboots and Steve Yates behind the counter, who both turned me onto some proper treasured goodies. I love the internet because of Nuron.  I love the internet coz I can fall in love with records again, or discover new records. Or, as is the case here, fall in love with a track you never knew existed despite once owning it. 

I hate the internet because of Mamacita. I hate the internet coz you can't put a face to people when things go wrong.  After sitting in my wants list for an age, I finally decided to dive in on payday and buy this. The seller I had dealt with many times before, so I paid him promptly.

No word after 4 days, so I politely enquired about the shipping time. A week, and still no word, so clicked on the site's not responding link. 3 days later and still no reply but was heartened to see so much belated negative feedback from sellers who also had to wait an age before receiving their tunes. Then to my surprise I got an e-mail saying 'seller suspended.' Shit, that wasn't supposed to happen. I hate the internet. Thankfully, I finally received a message from the seller to apologize, explaining that his health has been poor and that he will post my record out despite taking a break. 4 days later, the postie dropped it off, and it was in better nick than described. I love the internet almost as much as this tune right now. 

I also feel as bit silly as I should've been locked into this 26 years ago. The 909 programming is masterful and it just effortlessly teases some of Detroit's finest beats in a truly incessant yet fluttering groove that is perfectly paced for both the head and hips. This era's finest tracks haven't really been surpassed, which makes them far more important sound documents than mere nostalgia triggers. As valid as any new releases.

This track is living, magical music, from one of many techno pioneers, and thankfully I'm finally locked into it, eyes shut tight, dancing in a state of time suspension, and it feels good. Fuck yeah, it feels brilliant, in fact. 



No comments:

Post a Comment