Thursday 26 August 2021

BEATS OF LOVE 

16. Hummingbird by Tali Trow

THIS LP was actually on my radar during lockdown, then I clean forgot about it. When recalling a couple of Lords of Thyme live shows that clean slipped through my grasp, I actually remembered this and was chuffed that he's still selling copies on his Bandcamp page. And still is. 



I'm mystified as to why Tali Trow and Huw are still mailing out their own records, when their music is this great, but being mystified is in itself rather satisfying. It motors the brain; I guess.



Illustrating that the music industries' stranglehold and market fixation so often overlooks time served talent. Whilst illustrating the energetic resilience of musicians, striving to be heard in their own lifetime, in the face of this injustice. It is my hope that they are, which is why I'm doing SFH. My bit.

This track is the highlight of a very solid spin of an album and I thought I had unearthed a little gem. I thought 'just wait until my little wormhole hear this.' I then did a bit of a google search and discovered that the prolific Paul Hillery had already uploaded the very same track on his brilliant Folk Funk and Trippy Troubadours series at the tail-end of last year, so, it's highly likely that my little wormhole have already heard this. 

Paul's having a celebration of sorts by compiling his mix-series highlights as it nears its centenary. An insane amount of quality music. He's also more eclectic a DJ than his series suggests, even playing Justin Vandervolgen's Talking Jungle remix on the wrong speed, at the Devil' Jukebox, which roundly deserves a hats off. Cover versions are fascinating. Quite often I love it when everything goes crazy, stupid, but just as often I love it when crazy stupid songs are made to sound more conventional. 



Tali has lived with this crazy, stupid song for years and his wonderful interpretation channels the spirit of the mighty James Taylor instead of staying faithful to the country, cosmic original (which would've been trendier). And is gloriously timeless because of it. It's truly reminiscent of the embryonic stages of the golden age of the singer-songwriter. He's at that very same well, and really lets the chorus shine as bright as the afternoon sun, in a deeply effecting way, with that hazy Hammond.

I was actually spinning it during sundown and the missus was in the garden singing along, which is far more satisfying to hear than any wormhole recognition. I can count the times that's happened on one finger. 



No comments:

Post a Comment