Thursday 19 August 2021

 HALF TERM REPORT

BEATS OF Love exists for two reasons. Firstly, to write about what's floating my boat at a given moment and why, and secondly, to see how far it can go before I either stop and admit it's just a bit of catharsis following the sudden death of my brother-in-law. There was so much left unsaid, and words on the subject are still extremely difficult. Anyway, I won't repeat myself like I did the last time I attempted to round things up. What's written in Beats of Love suffices, although I still want to scream out 'Well done Leo!'    

One of the best labels out there is Strangelove and Psychedelic Digestion Therapy's self-titled LP is an utter mind-bomb. It's the label's first foray into new stuff and, boy, is this Brussel's collective work gripping. Opener, Sabbi a Calda sucks you in and the quality and subtle drama is relentless. 6 tracks of the highest quality that strongly determine that they're listened to on their own terms. I'm resisting further description. Thanks to Robert Harris again for determining that the sleeve-notes are in fact tongue in cheek. It helps. Got a feeling this is going to be my most played LP of the year by far. 

It's great to see Mark Barrott's I-Feel back with a killer seven. Charlie Charlie's Save Us is a soothing slice of timeless soul goodness. Prefer the less doctored A-side, which sounds more spiritual. I can't be the only one who feels the healing power of some music. Music that is good enough to climb atop its own mountain top and pour its holy minerals down from high onto our crumpled being. Music just like this then. 


I can't type the word soul and not mention the might that is the Neil Young classic Don't Let it Bring You Down as covered by The Resonaires. The stellar performance punches holes out of the original, and for now even sounds better than Victoria Williams & The Williams Brothers super version. Another seven that has blown my mind a little is The Coastlines remix of Arvin Homa Aya's Interlude. Devastating when played at the right time.


Another summer winner has been Florence Adoni's Mam Pe'elu Su'ure. With more than a dozen players, it has more than a touch of quality about it. Probably the wackiest spin on my turntable is NS Kroo's Lots of Love that just swirls its way to perfection and gets stronger with every subsequent spin. Only Begin's Super Barrio played at the wrong speed comes close. 

Cassette action has been trickling steadily. Full Circle's Back To Nowhere has further reappraised my position regarding Goa trance music. I recall in the mid-nineties folk who didn't spunk all their cash on records returned from trips to India armed with cassettes that I thought sounded dreadful. However, I'm still pretty sure I was right and that Alexis Le Tan's and Joakim's mangled excavations here sound much, much better, and are the exception to the rule. 

Australia's A Colourful Storm compiled a woozy beauty with I Stumble and Then I Fall, which also sounds great from start to finish. Lots of experimental yet intriguing music, exclusive to this cassette. It's just as well that I like the air of mystery that surrounds the music on these releases. 

On a slightly more traditional musical tip, Kevin Low and Fiona Carlin's The Gayfield Enterprise is also a work of wonder. Nothing Else Will Ever Be The Same, the standout track sounds super fresh but is actually a rediscovered 1986 demo found in Edinburgh during lockdown. The guy is now 80 and I'm so pleased his wonderful music has found a fresh audience. 

I can't sign off without mentioning the new Native Dance twelve. Bayete & Probably Sean have delivered a great edit Guapa that sounds as bright and breezy as the perfect summer. Buy on sight. 

It's funny, now that Kenneth Bager has finally delivered his masterpiece with Let's Dream Together, the cat calling has begun. Make no mistake The New Age Orchestra has made more widely available the best track of the year, closely followed by Alex Kassian's Leave Your Life. And it's not really up for discussion. Everything else, brother-in-law excepted, is.   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment