Friday 14 January 2022

BEATS OF LOVE

33. Sight Gag by E Ruscha V And The Only Thingz

WHEN WE talk of tunes today and say things like, great for flailing* on the hammock during a sunny day, we clean forget that music used to make us feel fucking majestic. But so too did footy, and yer mates, and having good hair. 


I'm fucking old, so great for flailing on the hammock during a sunny day is about the highest accolade I can heap upon a great tune. You should hear what I say about footy, my mate, and my hair, nowadays.  




To me at least, silly season means a general over-work, and I neglected to purchase this upon its release. Not because I didn't want it but rather the fact that in my lethargic state I clean forgot about it. Luckily, and unusual for Good Morning Tapes, when I finally reminded myself about it, one was still available. 

Played as a whole the LP is very satisfying, which is unsurprising because Secret Circuit was top drawer. Although still a marriage between technology and something more organic, what differentiates this venture is a warmth and playfulness which oozes out of the speakers and forces a docile smile to surface on the listener's boat-race. That never happened before. 

However, this track is really standout. I probably shouldn't use an art analogy but it evokes the miniature in that it seems to scale down the dubby ambience of tunes like Towers of Dub yet retain its spirit. The result still feels as expansive. More pastoral than astral, it's a three-part odyssey that encourages horizontal musical-mind pinball** and is perfect for the January month when we retrain our brains to appreciate a much healthier diet.    

In fact, it's also great for flailing on the hammock during a sunny day.


*    Did I say flailing? Yes, have you ever seen me on a hammock?

** Beats of Love number 10 

https://goodmorningtapes.bandcamp.com/track/sight-gag



No comments:

Post a Comment