Friday 21 January 2022

BEATS OF LOVE

34. Catch Me If You Can by Wrekin Havoc

ODD THAT such an epic tune should land so early into a new year, but brilliantly odd. Brilliant, too, that all the profits made are being donated to charity.


Rob introduced himself to me by messaging a link to a secret Italo tune, and I was a little nonplussed. Then I began seeing his sprawling, spasmodic posts appear on my timeline, where he sends everybody links to wonderful music. Much that I'm often impelled to investigate further. I now await his drunkenness with trepidation as it nearly always costs me a few quid. 


This edits EP is the high quality excavation you would expect from West Midlands finest music freaks that hits proper pay-dirt with its finale. Here, the edit becomes much more dramatic than the pricey original. I love it on these rare occasions when the edits actually add something, not least coz it saves me a few quid, and a lot of tracking down.

Originally recorded at Middelkerke's Beach Studio, this is indeed a properly Balearic record that is thankfully new to most of us. I love the play on words in the title that allude to both their dig and their musical escapism. 


Already the spoilers have unearthed it as a slab of late 80s Belgium delight, but the alchemists have amalgamated the sultry throbs of the instrumental that build and build before finally teasing in the voice of Pascale, a Kate Bush soundalike, creating a proper moment. Right up there with Fragile's We've Got Tonight, Boy. 

2022 has begun already. 


 

1 comment: