Wednesday 23 February 2022

BEATS OF LOVE

40. Sunset in the Meadow by Rahel Talts Ensemble

WITH THE inception of SFH came forth a predominant passion for European jazz of the breezy variety, but then a true spirit of eclecticism took a hold and all-sorts of sounds started to come out of my speakers. 

Vampire bit disco being among them. Thankfully, I still have time in my life for listening to European jazz to unfurl my toes to and let life just float by. I doubt there'll be a breezier example than this all year. I'm also, for this week at least, Rahel Talts's Facebook fan of the week (whatever that means), but much more than that, I've corresponded with her on a wonderfully warm human level. 



Slaving away in a Danish studio with like-minded players to make both musical and more abstract concepts come to life, she examines thought from an array of angles. Her compositions incorporate elements of folk, pop, and fusion, using warm melody, colourful rhythms, and switching between acoustic piano and electric keyboard. The magic is making all of this sound so natural and simple.

So glad Erki Pruul of Frotee fame shared this, the best track from his fellow Estonian's utterly joyous CD. (Yep, CD again.) She has been modest enough to send it, hoping that it brings some joy to my day. It's actually brought an immeasurable amount, and not just to my day. To my life. Although richly textured, for such a young ensemble, they show a subtle restraint, giving it an all important sense of space. Necessary, I suppose, when calling your composition this.

 

With so many musicians and without a trained hearing, I'd struggle to tell you who was playing what and when all the time, but I love its beauty all the same. 

Sunsets are always perfect whereas life so seldom is. Today, thankfully, is the exception.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment