Thursday 24 November 2022

BEATS OF LOVE 

71. Time Has Told Me by Nick Drake

THIS YEAR has taught me an awful lot and strengthened my faith. 

Letting go of family members and a close friend is private and the rights and wrongs are ultimately somebody else's business. Somebody else's opinion about what has happened will get heard. Opinions that will then change from person to person. Opinions that will all but bury any semblance of truth.  Throughout the remainder of my life, there are going to be times of  anguish as a consequence of events that have occurred this year.  


However, I take massive comfort in the fact that other important relationships have strengthened or healed, drawing what remains of us closer together by understanding exactly what has happened and what has been happening for years. The missus' astute observations were especially trenchant and perceptive. Time itself will tell my side of the story. That's how faith works, I guess. 

That this magnificent song, written by a mere 21-year-old, resonates so much with me and the predicament I now find myself in, speaks volumes about Nick Drake. His odd maturity, his disdain for convention, his lightness of touch, and his inspiring faith during the emergence of what was to be a short but magical musical career. 

These lyrics manage to wrap themselves so completely around an experience of internal struggle where solace is only ever found by honestly exposing a beauty in solitude and in the imperfection of companionship. Consequently, faith in the future is all we have. Without it, we're as good as dead already.  

I never let a day pass without praising the magic that transformed such a troubled soul into the wisest old sage. Teaching me how to heal and warmly nudging me toward a tomorrow, with all its wonderful imperfection.  


No comments:

Post a Comment