Friday 2 December 2022

BEATS OF LOVE

72. San Francisco Night (Instrumental) by Chris

WAS WALKING to work the other day and unfathomably the synth line to Lady in Red came into my head and then I pictured my mother and father dancing together in sync to it. 


I say unfathomably coz if my mother was still alive, and I asked her about whether she ever danced to it she'd scrunch her face up and reply 'don't be absurd.' I can only imagine that I was bunking off school a lot at the time of its release and it got lots of telly play so unwittingly found a way deep into my subconscious. 



I was reared on chart music but then rebelled against it until Luvdup started creating special pop moments in their sets. Moonboots and Balearic Mike became the most renowned exponents of this DJ habit, with Sean Rowley even making a brand out of it. However, Jim created the ultimate moment when he played Sledgehammer.  

I tasked myself with making my own pop moment out of Lady in Red. Reasoning that it couldn't possibly have found its way into my psyche if it was completely crap. The seven inch doesn't cut it. Steve Coogan famously stated, 'it's what stupid people dance to at weddings.' His kindest statement about it. 

No dubs, instrumentals, or extended remixes, meant I was looking at cover versions. The Shadows were promising but too much guitar, ditto the Flamenco covers. Lovers Rock covers were only slightly less saccharine than the original, as were Reggae versions. James Last was the pick of a poor selection of fast tempo orchestral efforts, but still disappointing. Finally, I found myself playing dreary Panpipe excursions before calling it a night and admitting to myself that it's completely crap. 

No doubt after posting this somebody will share that elusive Mediterranean dub mix to prove me wrong. In the meantime, this Chris will more than do. 

Pure heat and a longtime want finally reissued by the ever dependable Edition Hawara label. Austria's finest tastefully lose the confederate flag from the original sleeve whilst pressing it loud and clear. I prefer this instrumental with its gloriously spangled synth lines that appear looser and really shine through on what is the finest winter warmer at hand. 

Hopefully next week when I walk to work these loose synth lines will come into my head. Giving me some much needed spring in my step.      

      

  


No comments:

Post a Comment