Friday 9 December 2022

BEATS OF LOVE 

73. The Banger Dictionary compiled by Finn McCorry

MET ANNABEL in 2018 and she and Adam were brill. Such a shame I was given an ultimatum from the missus when I finally found my way home. Either stay out indefinitely or stay married. I've not had a lost weekend since. 



Annabel, beside being an ace DJ, co-owns 20k and a dead sheep, my online go-to zine seller, which sends me copies of Dance Policy and Faith. Even throwing in old E-Bloc pamphlets I'd previously discarded with acid smiley inserts. These are now my main portals into a culture that was an integral part of my life, as the writing is always sharp and illuminating. 





Especially an amazingly powerful piece written passionately and thoughtfully by Kareina Daswani in the latest copy of a DP. After reading it, I dug out some immersive, sultry, dark techno, and imagined it was nearly dusk.  

The digital-age has rewound us back to the pre-war years. Not quite as bad as killing one another, but a far cry from building a better Britain with everybody's well being at its heart. Which actually happened in the post-war years. Now we just cost shit as cheaply as possible, dehumanize folk, and dumb-down everything. Sounding uncannily like Arthur Daley with their seedy sales pitches to the public, the political class are engaged in a vacuous conflict, whilst defending insane levels of greed and selling us absolute crap. 

Thank God then for zine sellers for injecting truth and heart into the marketplace. And thank God for Finn McCorry and this, his massive contribution to the literary canon. An A5 resource in the form of a tactile dictionary; synonyms for banger, that help us improve our dance music banter. 

The kind of booklet you never knew you needed until it's cradled in your hand. Unsurprisingly, the word sultry isn't there.  

https://20kandadeadsheep.com/products/the-banger-dictionary



No comments:

Post a Comment