Tuesday 7 December 2021

BEATS OF LOVE 

28. Love is the Message (Philadelphia Mix) by Love Inc featuring MC Noise

THE KEY difference between Lennon and me is I'm not God. He famously made lyrics up to rock'n'roll songs, whereas in my total obscurity, I just misheard lyrics through the haze of night-clubs. I could recount the times forever, but a couple of examples occurred during my evangelical phase.  


I must've had a convict mentality coz when Love Decade's Dream On got played, I'd rush to the floor shouting 'Prisoners are Free!' in my head. Similarly, when Greg Fenton blew my mind playing Tony Rallo & the Midnite Band's Holdin On, I thought the lyrics were 'All Day Long Working on the Chain.' 



Subsequently, I only bought it years later when Mark Luvdup played it and kindly gave me a random CD, then scrawled the title in marker pen. He second guessed I would forget all about it during the course of the day and night and day, so would need a subtle reminder. I wish more people were like Mark.  

Lennon would've been as confused by 1991 as me. For a few short weeks, metaphysical walls came tumbling down and Lee's bug-eyed enthusiasm for  Shelly's was every bit as relevant as my own escapades. Proper working-class heroes. Whereas I was feeling incarcerated at work on a Monday morning after massively over-doing it, he was still shuffling about. 

This tune really hit the spot for us both and even Lennon would approve of its sentiment. Black Box's  Daniele Davoli's rolling piano lines, MC Noise rapping coherently and brilliantly so even an idiot like me can understand, over pulsating synth stabs, and everybody in the place very high on hope. Enough said. In fact, by Thursday, nobody was higher than us two that summer. Nobody.



When Lee's band N-Trance hit the big time in 94, I asked him to guest DJ and play some Detroit techno. I thought it was a genius idea, showing off a more serious side. 'Sure,' he said. When he did, he proceeded to play happy piano tunes for an hour. I should've fucking known coz all he talked about was dancing and Sasha

Unsurprisingly, I last saw him in the line-up on an episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks shuffling about and smiling. Good on him.     

     


No comments:

Post a Comment