Friday 31 December 2021

BEATS OF LOVE

31. Le Coup D'Abalone (Instrumental) by Double Jeu 

BUYING FROM Cosmic Dudes was always an event. The pair sold sparingly, records that were often unavailable elsewhere on-line, and you had to wait a while. Until finally, one never showed up at all. One half of the partnership Mitch posted on DJH about the tragedy surrounding its demise, explaining why his records never showed up.  

The other half, Charles Bals, began selling online again with Psychemagik's Danny Mclewin on their Beach Freaks website. I bought a real woozy gem of an album off them, but much of their stock is over my price radar. However, the relationship was far from fruitless for me as 2 glorious compilations have been released on the mighty Spacetalk label, which really does mark Bals out as the finest of curators. 


To say this record is championed by him would be stretching it. He's currently selling a copy and has added the words 'Deep coastal ambient rock on the instrumental (small sticker on label)' which was enough for me to part with 6 quid. I bought it from a UK seller in NM and when it arrived, I predictably went straight to the B-side. 

As there is no other resource, I would just add that it also has that necessary throb that's so integral when determining whether a record is worth it or not. This is certainly worth it. An under the radar synth-pop gem from a band that went on to make under the radar Zouk albums. It's a belated Christmas present from me to me and a lot more satisfying than the sickly sweet Belgium Truffles my gaffer gave me. 

In a year when I bought my first leather jacket in over 34 years then completely lost my libido, it's the best of things, a punt that pays off. Happy New Year!  



No comments:

Post a Comment