Wednesday, 1 March 2023

 BEATS OF LOVE 

80. I Feel You (Mudd Remix) by Payfone &  Kyd Nereida

I’D FULLY intended to write about Brown Fang x Torn Sail until Dr Rob dropped his own piece and completely nailed it. He captured their essence so perfectly that my attempt to tell you to buy it on sight felt entirely redundant. So, let's keep it simple: just buy it.

Yet, much like a club golfer obsessively perfecting their swing and dreaming of a 22 handicap, I spun this twelve-inch and found myself transported. It was incredible enough to pull me back to the keyboard, still hoping that some kindred stranger out there might connect with these words.

In the meantime...



I first discovered Payfone via Phil’s peerless Golf Channel label. Subconscient Lamentation was, and remains, a bass-heavy, stone-cold classic. It felt untouchable until 2019, when they elevated their sound with the prominent vocals of the stunning I Was in New York. Frankly, I didn't think they’d ever top that. I held that same skepticism when I first heard Kyd Nereida’s vocals on last year’s Put Your Face Away. But here, given center stage, she sounds compellingly emotive, and more than a little sultry. 


There is no point trying to compare her to anyone else; her voice is entirely her own, a genuinely singular talent. While I was initially drawn to the darker stabs of the A-side, hearing this warmer, slo-mo mix over a proper set of loud speakers changed everything. It teases the highest peaks and weaves in Michele Chiavarin’s wondrous piano to create something truly spectacular. The woozy delirium it induces feels like a guilty pleasure, pure, deeply satisfying indulgence.

Sometimes, getting completely lost in a track without overthinking it is the ultimate win. Forget the handicap. Drop the needle. Let’s dance.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment