Friday, 14 April 2023

BEATS OF LOVE

84. Be Nothing by Beach Fossils

It has been ages since a mix completely surprised and delighted me in equal measure. This morning, I found one chock-full of the shimmering, understated brilliance that reminds you why great records sound the way they do.


Titled ShoeGaze to NuGaze, it’s a musical storm on winged guitars, curated by true music lover Jeff O'Toole. He masterfully balances tried-and-tested classics with fresh, undiscovered acts. He has also kindly included a track list, so you can dive right in via the link below.

I’m already deeply obsessed with an absolute gem from a Brooklyn surf/indie band that wasn't even on my radar until today. The track builds with majestic patience before delivering the best instruction you'll hear all year: Be Nothing. From there, the guitars cut loose with incredible energy and warmth.


I originally intended to write a piece about the futility of railing against mainstream mediocrity, a pointless rebellion we've been repeating for 500 years. But this song says it all far more eloquently, brilliantly, and rhythmically than I ever could. Great music always cuts through the noise.

Huge thanks to Jeff for bringing it in spades!

https://www.mixcloud.com/jeff_o2l/now-wave-mail-out-mix-april-23-shoegaze-to-nugaze/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment