Sunday 23 June 2024

BEATS OF LOVE 

123. In a Heap by Me


'He's deep,' said someone

as I lay in a heap,

The rhythms of the night before 

lay with me on the floor,

'How could they possibly know how great the new 2 Lone Swordsmen LP is?'

I asked myself in emotive wonder

As they calculated that the glass-eyed shallow end of life is best,

The drizzle, not this thunder 

Drizzle that characterized my old man's days on earth

Sure, he'd seen the Stones at Belle Vue

but that was nothing new


I never thought Mick and Keith would outlive him or Lord Sabre

or never thought I'd be voting for this tepid form of Labour

Who I vote for to annoy my old man, still 

Whose upper body conceals itself behind an out-folded Daily Express

I see those flapping slippered feet untangling the mess

That life became

within a paper so lame

'He's in a heap,' said they

and they were fucking right




No comments:

Post a Comment