Sunday 7 July 2024

BEATS OF LOVE 

125. Persephone's Song by Students of The George School

Jonny Trunk's genius for unearthing music and releasing it on vinyl knows no bounds, and reading his Friday mail-outs is an integral part of my week. I miss wrapping my tenner in an envelope and receiving advanced copies and still say to myself 'you've surpassed yourself this time' at least once every five years.


I vividly recall the hunt for his breakthrough Wicker Man soundtrack LP. E-Bloc and Decoy couldn't help and the HMV store and Piccadilly had sold out of their stock, so I scoured second hand outlets. Luckily, after a few weeks, M1 had a copy on their counter, but Brian didn't want to sell it. I must've looked pretty desperate. He finally accepted my steep offer of £17.



With super artwork and an info sheet name checking the Massiv chorus, Journey of Peresphone was less stressful to buy and is stunning. Magically unearthing this rare 1973 album from a Pennsylvanian school ensemble like no other, Jonny once again delivers the goods. Unlike the Wonder Years, which taps into a faux nostalgia, this feels more authentic as it's a lived experience. Except darker. 

Echoes of this era's telly acoustic hand clapping children singalongs are more embedded in the imaginations of folk, like myself, born in the sixties. Before more visual, ad orientated chewing gum telly became the norm. And Miraculously, the students play all Lars T Clutterman's music and sing all Robert S Mandel's slightly strange songs incredibly well. Live.

   

This opener's jaunty piano led blast of folk funk takes me to my happy place but the whole album is a pleasure to listen to. You've proper surpassed yourself this time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment