Tuesday 13 August 2024

BEATS OF LOVE 

128 Step to the Rear by Brand Nubian

I'M OFF social media sites and it feels great. Facebook was accidental. Twitter; well you'd be mad to stay on there, right? Now I really am just talking to myself without all that toxic noise deafening me.


I recall the Monday in Musicworld, my town's only record store, when, for the one and only time, the record playing on the turntable blew me away. I was used to approaching shop counters in Mancunia, but not there. But sheepishly approach, I did. 



Again, I have to admit it was my kid sister playing De La Soul that first got me into hip-hop. I think I nabbed it before realizing that the US press was far superior. I love lyrics, sages, and wordplay, so this trio was tailor made for me. Their LP sounded so perfect on that Monday. And it sounded even better when I cranked it up later on the home hi-fi.

With all the toxic noise that deafened us out of nowhere, I revisited this gem to make some noise of my own. It sounds perfect and still blows me clean away. Puba just flowing vibrant rhymes effortlessly and elastically on top of some of the dopest, laid back funky hooks committed to vinyl. I doubt you can eclipse the breezy lines 'But I'm long, I'm like Stretch Armstrong, I go on and on and on and on'. The Mar-Keys’ Plantation Inn was the springboard for them and their extended crew, the SD50s, to get deeply creative. Giving Puba the ideal platform to be brilliant whilst still disarming me with his swaggering elegance.  

Keeping me strong for the missus and in control of my fear during these dark days. And I can now play it louder than ever. At least, until the neighbour arrives home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment