Thursday, 30 January 2025

 BEATS OF LOVE 

139. Afro Disco by Vincent Arthur & Dagomba

BIGGED UP Sam Don before, but he's since started a label. Sweet Free Association. 

I secured one of the last two copies on his Bandcamp page, as the original pressing has become expensive. Sam caught onto this record well before the price skyrocketed and has generously licensed three standout cuts. I also lucked out by grabbing one of the final two copies of his debut release: the incredibly rare Carter Lake by Carl Moore.

 


That track is a slow burner that peaked perfectly for heavy rotation over Christmas. Missing out on fresh music is the sole disadvantage of leaving social media, leaving me reliant on blogs and forums. But truly, it is the only downside. As a failed DJ, I appreciate the idiosyncratic self-imposed rules the successful DJs define their sonic territory into a particular style. A style they can then harness. Comparatively speaking, I'm like the massively overgrown hedge-way found outside derelict buildings.

Case in point, before deciding this record creates a brilliant atmosphere for dancing, I was pitching the idea, largely to myself, that Tony Ogden and John West's Man, Myth and Music demos, need recording. They're so good. Not by AI, but by the compilation artists' Imaginary records were so good at finding. I've also been entering the hallucinatory world of my mother's surviving partner with his rapidly declining dementia diagnosis. A fatiguing world. It reminds me that life can change in an instant. 


This year, I must stop filling notepads that overgrow with ideas that never get realised and act on one instead. Cheers Sam and Ted for today's lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment